Business strategy or “strategic management” is the uppermost level of decision making that drives a business. This is the domain of the C-suite and takes a top-down view of the business. It’s where the most fundamental directional choices are made that affect every aspect of the business. Strategic management asks questions like:
- What is our long-term vision and trajectory?
- Should we allocate resources to entering a new market?
- Should we drop certain departments/businesses or retain our current portfolio?
Answering these questions requires in-depth data analysis and market understanding. These are huge decisions for a large business, and doing “due diligence” on the potential directions and outcomes is an intensive process.
This is why business leaders will often bring in strategy consultants who specialize in a particular industry or type of business decision. The consultants will be able to look at every possibility and probability and provide a thorough, unbiased brief the C-suite can then use in their decision making.
Faiez Seyal has played the role of an executive advisor for Chairmen, CEOs, Directors, and the Executive Managers of public and private organizations for decades and made his name for providing creative solutions to the challenging issues faced by his clients. His solid background in business, economics, management and human behavior, along with years of experience of working at all levels of the society gives him an understanding of issues that may occur which no one else can even fathom, allowing Faiez to cut the problems from their roots and gift excellence in return. Specific areas that Faiez is regularly asked to assist with, include:
- Advising on (the new) role as Chief Executive and/or Chairman of the Board
- Clarifying the business’s mission-vision-values, and ingraining them into the organization
- Working effectively with the Board of Directors
- Managing work-life imbalance
- Preparing for succession (organizationally and personally)
- Leading through strategic and disruptive changes
- Ensuring the routines, structures, and culture that feed strong governance
- Analyzing and clarifying the strategic approach to business challenges
- Helping executives new in their role to raise their profile and understand the added complexities
- On-boarding new team members to ensure success and minimizing conflicts
- Managing expectations (internal, external, and industry) and its effects on organizations and own aspirations
Seeing that the nature of strategy consulting differs from the other more implementation and operational driven areas, strategy consultants generally have a different profile than their peers. Their focus lies more on quantitative/analytics skills, and their job description revolves more around giving advice than overseeing implementation.